Internal medicine physicians serve as primary care physicians for adult patients. They provide a wide range of nonsurgical health care services, including physical examinations, preventive screenings, general care for medical conditions, and referrals to specialists when needed.
They can provide treatment for most conditions in adults, such as:
- Skin disorders
- Anxiety and depression
- Arthritis and other joint and bone disorders
- Chronic bronchitis
- Complex Diabetes Management
- High blood pressure, high cholesterol, and coronary artery disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD), and ulcers
- Lung disorders, such as asthma and emphysema
- Thyroid Complications
- Heart Failure
- Inpatient Services
- Urinary tract infections, urinary incontinence, and kidney stones
An internal medicine physician can provide treatment or a referral for nearly every condition.